Using Contract Attorneys for Document Reviews
There are numerous law firms and in-house legal departments using the services of contract attorneys for their document review work. The advantages of doing so are numerous. In the following lines, you will find out more about what the attributions of a contract attorney are and what you should expect when working with such a professional.
What do Contract Attorneys Do?
Some of the common tasks assigned to a contract attorney are:
- conduct document review work
- draft agreements, settlements, various contracts and other legal documents
- perform the work of an associate that is out of the office
- document review work with the use of specialized skills, such as knowledge in a foreign language or expertise in a particular field
- legal research on particular legal issues that are of interest to the company hiring the attorney
- offering support for teams when they prepare for litigation
- preparing reports on an annual basis
- providing assistance in migrating to upgraded software
- reviewing employee manuals and making suggestions for improving them
- engagement with the laws of another state
- assisting in the discovery stage of a particular case
In short, the position of a contract attorney involves a wide range of tasks, and such professionals need to be properly prepared before starting. The nature of the tasks and attributions assigned to a contract attorney also vary according to the firm for which he or she works, which may be a small firm, a corporation, a company in collaboration with the government or an in-house counsel.
How Much do I Need to Pay for the Work of a Contract Attorney?
Most contract attorneys should be paid by the hour of document review work. However, there are some professionals who prefer to charge a flat rate. For the best results and to save costs, it is best that you discuss your case in advance and provide all the information such a professional needs to establish a quote. Set a rate up front, and you will avoid any unpleasant surprises.
Depending on the scope of the project and the complexity and the contract attorney’s level of experience, hourly rates can range from $25 per hour to over $100 per hour.
Rahul D. Yodh is a Principal of Link Legal Search Group, a boutique legal search & staffing firm that provides lateral attorney recruitment and contract attorney services to organizations nationwide. For more information on Link Legal Search Group, please visitwww.linklegalsearch.com